Elevating your laptop screen to your eye level is a good idea, as it can improve your body posture. You can elevate the laptop screen with a simple laptop stand.
You can easily find the laptop stands in the market. However, these laptop stands are pricy, and most of them are not worth your hard-earned money.
Further, you can’t risk your laptop on a flimsy laptop stand.
Thankfully, you can DIY a vertical laptop stand at home by gathering some equipment.
This way, you can make a durable laptop stand for your laptop and customize it in your own style. Additionally, it will save you a lot of money.
Below, we have listed some of the best ideas which can be helpful for you to make a DIY vertical laptop stand for your laptop. Have a look.
6 Different DIY Vertical Laptop Stands
Wooden DIY Vertical Laptop Stand
The first vertical laptop stand that we are going to DIY here will be a wooden stand. We are making a wooden stand because it is one of the easiest DIY.
To create a wooden vertical stand, you have to gather some supplies which can easily find in your garage or storeroom. Additionally, you can find them in a local shop near you.
1. Some wooden blocks
2. Wood screws to combine the wooden blocks.
3. Drill machine to make holes in wooden blocks.
4. A jigsaw or something similar to it.
5. A wood sander or some stain to make the stand look good.
The process of making this laptop stand is very simple and easy. You will have to screw 3 pieces of wooden blocks together to make the stand.
We would advise you to make this stand in an outdoor space or backyard so that you can clamp the wooden blocks easily.
First of all, you have to cut 2 pieces of wooden blocks from the wood. You can cut any size of blocked.
But we will advise you to cut about 6 inches of each block if you have a MacBook.
Further, if you own a heavy gaming laptop, it will be recommended to cut bigger wooden blocks.
Also, if you have a smaller laptop, like 12 inches, you can cut 5 inches blocks.
You can cut wooden blocks of any height you like.
Next, you have to cut another wooden block for the base. Similarly, you can cut the base of the stand according to your requirements.
Our advice would be to cut a similar base to the last 2 blocks you have cut.
Next, you have to sand the wooden blocks that you have cut down. You can sand the blocks according to your usage.
Sanding the wood is a long process, so make sure you sand the tiny little edge of the blocks.
Also, make sure to make the corner of the side blocks round from the top side so that the laptop doesn’t get scratches.
After sanding is done, you have to use the drill machine and make the hole into the base and the 2 side blocks.
Make sure to keep a proper gap between the wooden side blocks so that your laptop can easily fit.
When the drilling is done, use the screws and put them into the wooden blocks from base to side blocks.
Finally, you can give it optional sand to make it look good when the stand is ready.
Also, you can stain the stain if you want to extend the durability and life of the stand.
You May Also Like:-
Easy DIY Vertical Laptop Stand
The No. 2 vertical laptop stand on our list is also the most affordable laptop stand you can make yourself at home.
First of all, you have to gather some supplies to DIY the laptop stand.
1. EVA Rubber
2. Napkin holder
3. Glue or tape
You can easily find the napkin holder at a local store near your home if you don’t have it with you.
You can purchase it for $2 in the USA, readily available at a local store. Further, you can find a napkin holder in an IKEA outlet.
After quickly gathering the supplies, the first thing you have is to check is whether your laptop fits into the napkin holder or not.
If it does not fit into the holder, then you probably have got the wrong holder.
Before starting the process, let us tell you that this laptop stand can easily hold a MacBook Air and Pro.
- Take out the EVA rubber and measure it with the napkin holder.
- You will have to cut this rubber according to the size of the napkin holder. We have chosen this EVA rubber so that the laptop doesn’t catch scratches and be safely stored on the stand.
- After measuring the EVA rubber with a holder, draw some outlines so that you can easily cut them.
- Make sure to cut the rubber into 2 equal parts so that you can stick it to both sides of the napkin holder.
- When the cutting is done, take out the glue and stick both rubber pieces to the holder. Additionally, you can use dual-sided tape so that the EVA rubber doesn’t come out easily.
- After sticking the rubber, you have to mount the laptop on the stand and check if it is working or not.
Here you can leave the rest of the process and enjoy the laptop stand. But if you would like to have more customization, you can add an anti-scratch stopper to the stand for maximum safety. Additionally, you can add stickers like an Apple sticker that you get with your MacBook for a good look.
Foam DIY Vertical Laptop Stand
- High density foam
- Foam cutter
The No. 3 on our list is again affordable and one of the easy to craft laptop stands.
Further, this one doesn’t require you to make a lot of effort, and you can make this one within a few minutes.
When it comes to the supplies and equipment, then you only need a high-density foam along with a foam cutter. Optionally, you can use a sharp blade or cutter to cut the foam.
The first thing you have to do is measure the size of your laptop.
Please note that this laptop stand may not hold a lot of weight, so this is only ideal for small and lightweight laptops.
We will advise you only to make this stand if your laptop weighs less than 1.8 kgs.
After measuring the laptop size, take out the cutter and cut the high-density foam into the laptop shape.
Make sure to measure the laptop size vertical and not horizontally.
Also, when you cut down the foam, ensure the foam has been deep enough to hold your laptop well.
And when the foam is cut perfectly, place your laptop into the foam and check if the foam can hold your laptop or not.
You can then design the foam into whatever you like. A simple monolithic brick design will look good. Also, you can cut down the corners to make it look like a stone.
3D Printer DIY Vertical Laptop Stand
- 3D Printer
- 3D model file
The next DIY vertical laptop stand requires a 3D printer, so you can skip this one if you don’t have a 3D printer.
- The first thing you are going to need is the file.
- You can download the 3D model from here.
- After you have downloaded the 3D model file, you can make some changes. But please do not edit or make changes to the file if you don’t know about customization.
- After editing the model, you can simply print it with your 3D printer and start using it.
Curved DIY Vertical Laptop Stand
The DIY No. 5 would help you to create a curved laptop stand. However, the process may not be very easy, to be frank.
But if you want a premium looking vertical laptop stand for your laptop, then you can create this one.
- Wood or plywood
- Glue and dual sided tape
- Digital callipers
- Veener sheet
- First of all, you have to make mold shaped wood. Unfortunately, we didn’t have a bandsaw, so we had to do it in two halves.
- Start cutting some plywood down to size and gluing it all together to make a large woody block. We have to do this in two parts so that we can cut through it.
- After that, clamp the plywood all together as well and wait for it to dry.
- Once fully dry, you will have two wooden blocks. You can use double-sided tape to stick the template down to the blocks. And then, you can use the saw to cut along the line so you can glue the bottom half of the curve together.
- Once it is dry, glue the top together because when you cut by hand, the molds may not come out perfect. So, you will have to sand them down to make them look good.
- If you have a case on your laptop, you can use the digital calipers to measure the exact thing you need.
- Next, take a one-meter-long sheet of veneer and cut it into three equal-length sections.
- After that, cut the sheets three times lengthways so you can have nine equal pieces.
- Make a template where the cutout for the laptop would go and mark this onto each piece of wood. It would help if you cut with several light passes that stop the veneer from crafting.
- When you have nine equal pieces, then you can choose which ones look best with the top. Further, you put some tape over the mold to try and stop the wood glue from sticking to it. And then gluten stacked up all the pieces of veneer.
- Carefully place the bottom and the mold and then put the top on. After that, take the clampdown.
- Next, you have to wait for at least 24 hours for all the glue to dry. After that, carefully remove the bottom part from the top. Be very careful while using the knife to remove the top from the bottom.
- After that, begin removing all the excess glue you might have used a bit too much. Then just sand it all off. The sanding process would take some time, so be patient. We just kept sanding until all the edges were even and all the glue had been removed. We used the Dremel with a founding bit to get into some of the corners.
- To finish it, you can use boiled linseed oil. Add a bit of protection, and it makes the grain pop. That’s it. You are done with your curved vertical laptop stand for your laptop.
Playwood DIY Vertical Laptop Stand
- Miter saw
- Making tape
- First, measure the thickness of your laptop. You can use calipers and apply some taps on the jaws so that the laptop doesn’t get scratches all over it.
- Take a wooden ply sheet. After that, cut it down about 3/4 inches with a manageable size. Use a miter saw and cut 2 thin sheets of 1 inch and one thick sheet of 2 5/8 inches. You can adjust these dimensions according to your laptop.
- Next, you have to cut the wooden pieces into length. Use the miter saw table, which should be adjusted to 22.5 degrees and then apply the masking tape to the plywood for the best control.
- In the next step, you have to sand the wooden pieces. Use glue on the blocks. And then tape the bits altogether. For this, you can use masking tape to hold everything before gluing it up.
- Finally, the DIY vertical wooden stand is ready. Try to fit your laptop into it. If it is working fine, then well done.
- After that, there are some other steps you have to follow. Now, you have to glue up the laptop stand.
- Apply the glue on all the joints of the wooden blocks. And let it sit overnight. Make sure you leave it overnight or for at least 12-15 hours so that it can be set properly up.
- Next, you can clean the extra glue squeezes on the blocks and then sand them up. You can also apply a finish, and we would suggest you use the enduro-var. You can apply 2 coats of the finish, and you are done with the stand.
So, this was all about How to make DIY Vertical Laptop Stand. Hopefully, you will like our approach.